52 Chiswell Street
The Brewery occupies the site of the former Whitbread brewery in East London. In 1750 Samuel Whitbread, having bought property in the area, transplanted his operations to Chiswell Street from two smaller breweries in Old Street and Brick Lane.
Within a few years, Whitbread’s brewery had become a vast operation: its sheer size making it an attraction worthy of royal visits. George III, Queen Charlotte, Queen Elizabeth II, and Elizabeth the Queen Mother all visited the site. Brewing on the site continued until 1976, the last tanker pulling out of the South Yard on April 13, bringing to an end a 225-year era.